Wednesday 25 August 2010

Amusing Memory



As I child I aways lived in rural areas (I moved about 6 times). A little cottage we lived in neighbored a rather large field. One Spring day my friends and I were playing in the grassy green when we came across a baby lamb. The lamb was not in a good way and was badly hurt... I announced my mum would be able to fix him and that I should take him home with me. My tiny little self gathered the injured lamb and walked the distance home. When I arrived I wasn't able to climb the fence because my arms were rather full. 'Muuuum' I shouted on mother from behind the barbed wire. Well! the look on her face was most memorable... sheer horror as she appeared at the back door of the house.  'Mum mum help him' I wailed and her response was quite unexpected and abrupt 'AMY put that down immediately it it its dead' !!!! taking new pets home wasn't that unusual (frogs, caterpillars... lambs) but only I would take home a dead lamb! The thing is I genuinely thought I was doing the right thing and the lamb was maybe asleep! On reflection the other kids I was with at the time did giggle all the way home on operation save the dead lamb. Needless to say I did not enjoy the bath of disinfectant I was forced to have. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment